Monday, January 26, 2015

"Let everything you say be good and helpful"

Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them. –Ephesians 4:29 

I do not know anyone who hears curses as music to the ears or who enjoys a lot hearing negative statements, and more so who feels giddy when people give you uncalled, out-of-nowhere criticism or insult. On one of my morning devotions, I have re-encountered the verse above. I am reminded that my tongue should be more of a tool of flourishing words and statements than damaging ones. I noticed that recently my mouth has been gabbling a lot of rants and more than nourishing talks. I feel thankful that I have a boyfriend who forthrightly told me about this. Come to think of it, maybe one reason why I have been feeling discouraged lately is because of my self-dissuasion - because the words I say instead of affirming and attracting the maybe supposed-to-be good things blow them away instead. And it’s just the beginning of the year, it doesn’t seem right. I may have been insensitive as well to what these words have caused others, too. I might have triggered someone else’s negative emotions unknowingly. 

 It was a timely reminder that Oops Merie, hush those. You might not be saying curse words like p*ta and f*ck but the negative statements are just as bad. I prayed for my heart first, that whatever it holds, I lift them all up to Him. And that my tongue would help exude the more gratifying portion, that the words coming out will be nice and caring; that when people hear me they will be more blessed and be inspired; that I may help instead of making things worse; that I may encourage than dishearten someone’s spirit. Words even like small compliments can make someone’s day. Maybe that someone just needed a simple praise to help him get by the day. I told myself to be not selfish in giving out compliments no matter how I critique about anything, I must learn how to give tiny compliments, to encourage even in the most trivial way. 

I also came across this “Drive by Compliments” video which is lovely to watch. You’d see those genuine smiles. You have no idea whose day you can make. On a side note, in Philippine streets setting, medyo creepy ang dating but it can still make someone smile.


No comments: