Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Book Comment: The Shack (by Wm. Paul Young)

Title: The Shack
Author: Wm. Paul Young
No. of pages: 252
Published: July 1st 2007
Read: August 15, 2013

This book deserves a two thumbs up, standing ovation, confetti, it's just worth the time spent reading. Yes, I got carried away. However let me also state that I like books regarding spirituality, hence, this book automatically goes a notch higher. Yet, I consider this book as definitely one of my favorites. It impacted me. It touched me in a way that I cried on some parts of the book. It made me pause and utter a prayer. And since I read it, I try to live some of the words Papa uttered there like it was God who said it to me. I was able to relate to Mack at so many points. I guess all of us can relate to this book, most especially to my dear Christian friends. I highly recommend it. I give it a rating of OWN A COPY OF THE BOOK. When I say own a copy, it only means that it’s worth the money, the effort and the time!
Mackenzie Allen Philips' youngest daughter, Missy, has been abducted during a family vacation, and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an abandoned shack deep in the Oregon wilderness. Four years later in the midst of his "Great Sadness," Mack receives a suspicious note, apparently from God, inviting him back to that shack for a weekend.
Against his better judgment he arrives at the shack on a wintry afternoon and walks back into his darkest nightmare. What he finds there will change Mack's world forever.

In a world where religion seems to grow increasingly irrelevant The Shack wrestles with the timeless question, "Where is God in a world so filled with unspeakable pain?" The answers Mack gets will astound you and perhaps transform you as much as it did him. You'll want everyone you know to read this book!

(Synopsis from Goodreads)

I already forgot how to write a cohesive book review. But as of this writing, I have a whirlwind of emotions trying to recall the parts of the book and my feelings while reading the book.

One of the most relevant parts of the book which I really like is the comparison of religion or of being religious and relationship. I find it thriving that the book was able to convey the message of what Christianity really is. I also like how the very complicated trinity was explained, too. It somehow gave answers/revelations to life's common questions of where is God in tragedies, in failures, in problems, during those times we felt like He abandoned us. It magnifies the importance of relationship with Him more than religion, of having relationship with our families even to any person around us. It gives insights on love and trust and how human knowledge either diminishes or widens their scope. It highlights that God IS GOOD that all we need is to have faith and trust in Him, that He can turn even the most tragic circumstance in our lives work for our good, which only shows His love for us -- the greatest love of all!

Allow me to leave some quotables in here. I wish to update this with more quotes from the book as soon as I get hold of my copy since I underlined all those quotes.
“Forgiveness is not about forgetting. It is about letting go of another person's throat. Forgiveness does not create a relationship. Unless people speak the truth about what they have done and change their mind and behavior, a relationship of trust is not possible. When you forgive someone you certainly release them from judgment, but without true change, no real relationship can be established. Forgiveness in no way requires that you trust the one you forgive. But should they finally confess and repent, you will discover a miracle in your own heart that allows you to reach out and begin to build between you a bridge of reconciliation. Forgiveness does not excuse anything. You may have to declare your forgiveness a hundred times the first day and the second day, but the third day will be less and each day after, until one day you will realize that you have forgiven completely. And then one day you will pray for his wholeness.”

“Each relationship between two persons is absolutely unique. That is why you cannot love two people the same. It simply is not possible. You love each person differently because of who they are and the uniqueness that they draw out of you.”

“Don't ever discount the wonder of your tears. They can be healing waters and a stream of joy. Sometimes they are the best words the heart can speak.”

“Submission is not about authority and it is not obedience; it is all about relationships of love and respect.”

“I don't need to punish people for sin. Sin is its own punishment, devouring you from the inside. It's not my purpose to punish it; it's my joy to cure it.”

“So many believe that it is love that grows, but it is the knowing that grows and love simply expands to contain it.”

“Just because I work incredible good out of unspeakable tragedies doesn't mean I orchestrate the tragedies. Don't ever assume that my using something means I caused it or that I need it to accomplish my purposes. That will only lead you to false notions about me. Grace doesn't depend on suffering to exist, but where there is suffering you will find grace in many facets and colors.”


Goodreads:

The Shack: Where Tragedy Confronts EternityThe Shack: Where Tragedy Confronts Eternity by Wm. Paul Young
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Encouraging. Of faith, trust, love and relationships.


View all my reviews

No comments: