Monday, July 8, 2013

239. Persistence in Prayer



Sometimes, we are so persistent in “pestering” our parents, boyfriends, siblings, clients, or whoever in getting what we want. Or maybe we, ourselves, are so determined in getting what we want for ourselves i.e. saving too much to the point of starvation just to buy that pair of shoes or that signature bag. For guys, maybe they tend to be “pushy” in courting a girl they really like. How about in prayer? How about in asking God for the things we want, or rather, for the things He wants and long-planned for us? How persistent are we?


I am guilty that at times I easily quit praying, feeling discouraged that God has closed that specific door and had shut all the windows possible leading to an answer. But the real thing, for most of those times I wasn’t just too persistent, not even asking if it’s His will for me. The Bible says that we don’t have because we do not ask, or we ask but of the wrong motive/s (James 4:3). Or we don’t believe and we don’t push too much in praying and in seeking even though the Word said that if we ask we will receive, and if we search we will find (Matthew 7:7). God’s promises are the only promises that “aren’t meant to be broken. They are meant to be fulfilled and we should hold on to God’s promises, holding it firm while we’re persistently praying.

2You want things, but you cannot have them, so you are ready to kill; you strongly desire things, but you cannot get them, so you quarrel and fight. You do not have what you want because you do not ask God for it. 3And when you ask, you do not receive it, because your motives are bad; you ask for things to use for your own pleasures. -James 4:2-3

Pray Persistently


As a burned-out, frustrated young Christian, I realized one day that living in my own strength was useless. I needed to take my problems to God. In other words, I needed to pray more!

When we understand God's love for us and His plan for us, then we can begin to realize the doors that He wants to open for us. But we'll only realize these things when we're constantly talking with Him, listening to His voice, and growing deeper in our relationship with Him. 

So many times, when we reach the end of our rope, we turn to prayer, but when our prayers are not instantly answered, we give up. Today, I want to encourage you to not only pray, but to pray persistently. Don't stress out trying to make things happen on your own. Give it all to God as you pray.

Remember, He promises that when we seek Him, we will find Him. Let's pray and seek Him with all our hearts.


Prayer Starter: God, remind me to bring my problems to You. I'm tired of living in my own strength. I need Your guidance and Your direction. As I seek You daily, I will put my trust in You. (source: Joyce Meyer's Daily Devotion; emphasis mine)

No comments: