Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The WICKED Weekend

Wicked The Untold Story of the Witches of Oz
The Broadway Musical
CCP Main Theater
February 15, 2014

It's another dream come true seeing the "Broadway's biggest blockbuster (NY Times)" in real life! More than a year ago I was also blessed to see the Phantom of the Opera and finally, it was a rather long wait for another internationally big musical!

So what is the story of Wicked:
Long before Dorothy dropped in, two other girls meet in the Land of Oz. One, born with emerald-green skin, is smart, fiery and misunderstood. The other is beautiful, ambitious and very popular. How these two unlikely friends end up as the Wicked Witch of the West and Glinda the Good makes for the most spellbinding new musical in years. WICKED, the untold story of the witches of Oz, features music and lyrics by Stephen Schwartz (Godspell, Pippin, Academy Award® winner for Pocahontas and The Prince of Egypt) and book by Winnie Holzman (My So Called Life, Once And Again and thirtysomething), and is based on the best-selling novel by Gregory Maguire. (Source: www.wickedthemusical.com.ph)
As soon as I came to know that they're bringing this musical here in the Philippines I immediately sent tweets to my musical buddies which are also my college friends. Duh obviously it was a GO! And after some delayed tendencies, this musical got extended and I felt like it was extended for me and my friends' sake! Hahaha!
We bought Balcony 1 seats. Someday we'll seat just in front of the stage or we'll grab the best seats the theater will offer but for now, Balcony 1 sufficed. The best seats were sold really fast.
Come the WICKED WEEKEND and I was just sooooo giddy!!!We met early and had lunch first just like what we did the last time. We had some good chat and tons of laughter in between as usual. We entered CCP just in time for the long queue and we waited to be seated inside their main theater. CCP always always gives me good vibes. If only I have so much money to spare, theatrical and musical plays would be my kind of splurge. I grew up watching them e wala e mahal maging hilig to. Hahaha!
The stage set-up is really amazing. I feel like it was no less than the set-up abroad. I haven't seen any musical abroad YET. I just based it on videos and photos online haha. More than just the stage set-up was the musical play itself. It was soooooooooo amazingly wonderful spectacular I almost cried! I love it, I do! I think we all did! We can't help but clap on wow-ing scenes. GRABE ANG GALING AMAZING! Actually, I can't put into words how I felt about the musical. All I know is I was happy and fulfilled while watching it. Fulfilled talaga?
Meet my college friends/musical buddies. Candy's missing but hopefully next time we could be complete. That's Tin in the middle. Parang tatakbo lang for BnE2008 officer/representative (it's our batch assembly in La Salle) hahaha! I missed them! It was also nice talking to them about their recent trips in Europe and New York. We haven't seen each other in quite a long time. Wait lang, maalala ko wala akong nakuhang pasalubong. Hahaha!
So this is half of my college barkada. And I can't wait for April for us to be complete! And also I can't wait for our next musical to watch. Hmmm, what Broadway big would land the CCP theatre? 
Now this is the obligatory picture with this as our backdrop. Tangkad mo Kat!! 
And that is me writing on behalf of us.
Hoorayy!! This is yet again another first for him, and first for us! The first time I asked him to come and watch Phantom of the Opera with us, he refused. Grabe I was turned down hahaha! Rejected! He once mentioned how he don't fully grasp the willingness to spend that much for a musical. Okay, given. Mahal naman talaga. But this time around HE DID GET WHY!!! Yayyy! Finally, he's getting my spending on such! So I'm pretty sure the next time around he'd still come with me. This photo makes me happy halata naman diba?

That's all for the Wicked Weekend that we had. If only I could watch it all over again, I STILL WOULD! Kudos to the production and the cast. BUT I suddenly remember, it would be GREAT if I could see Idina Menzel as Elphaba, tapos sabay kanta ng Let It Go. Hahahaha! 

No comments: