Sunday, June 23, 2013

226. Unsolicited Take: World War Z 2013 Movie



Saturday, the latest addition to the movies-watched-inside-the-moviehouse is World War Z. I’ve read tweets, statuses, and short reviews that it’s a good movie. I checked IMDB for the no. of stars and it was 7.1/10 and that’s good enough for me/us to decide on spending time and money for it.

United Nations employee Gerry Lane traverses the world in a race against time to stop the Zombie pandemic that is toppling armies and governments, and threatening to destroy humanity itself. (-IMDB)
It’s a zombie movie. If you’re a fan of the brainless human-eating/biting bodies, I guess this should make it to the list. I’ve read that it’s adapted from a book and it’s far from it. I actually have no idea but it’s always not comprehensible to compare the book to a movie. There would always be modifications. I can only compare it to Left for Dead, if you love Left for Dead, then this will be a hit.

It’s action and horror, and it starts early on. There was no dull moment for me as I was always expecting something to make me shriek. I drank quite a nonstandard no. of mugs of coffee the past week to which I put the blame on for my heart pounding all throughout the movie, of course on top of the zombies. It is a story of family and "heroism" -- and having to leave the family for a while, travel across the globe, find a clue on the root of the pandemic and try to save the world. A series of ill-fated incidents happen in each country Gerry lands on. It seems like he’s an unfortunate magnet. Oh wait, not really so unfortunate when he was still alive in that plane scene. Momentum’s somehow in W.H.O office wherein it’s officially like a computer game! It’s the paramount, that part that I was torn if I should keep my eyes open or close, anyways either way my heart is pounding like there’s no tomorrow, because action and horror combo is at its peak. Then Gerry walks past the first zombie like he’s a zombie (go figure if he got “zombified”), drinks Pepsi, and breaks the vending machine, and walks past the other zombies. But I dig that “camouflage” idea, oh there’s some ‘scientific sense’, indeed “Mother nature sure knows how to disguise her strength as weakness…”


Towards the end, I still find loopholes an instalment may answer. There’s a fancy for where it all started and some questions still left hanging. The ending seems like not a finale but to conclude this part of who knows how long of a story. I like how it ended though, anyway quoting the movie “This isn’t the end; not even close.”

No comments: